The origins of the business relate back to 1858 when agricultural surveyors and estate agents Macdonald and McCallum sold livestock from farm to farm.
As the business grew, market premises were bought at Mill Street in Perth and when McCallum died in 1872, JM Fraser was made partner of the re-named Macdonald, Fraser & Co.
It was in 1962 that Macdonald Fraser & Co Ltd became the United Auctions Group after an amalgamation with Livestock Marts Ltd, which also brought together subsidiary companies Speedie Bros Ltd and Thomas Corson & Sons Ltd. At this time the Group consisted of markets at Aberfeldy, Blairgowrie, Cupar, Dalmally, Fort William, Glasgow, Grantown, Inverness, Killin, Lairg, Lochgilphead, Milnathort, Oban and the Western Isles, Tarbert and Thornton.
The amalgamation also meant there were two town centre markets in Stirling (at Wallace Street and Seaforth Place), which were effectively owned by the same Group, so the decision was taken to build one new market on the outskirts of town at Kildean. Markets at Edinburgh, Huntly, Thurso, Forsinard and Lybster were later added to the Group following the acquisition of Wm. Bosomworth & Sons Ltd and joint ventures with Hamilton's Auction Marts PLC. The business has taken various forms over the years, including a full listing on the FTSE AIM stock exchange.
Today it is privately owned again by the management and staff